Monday, January 25, 2010

New Guitar and Amp


I'm excited! I've been jones-ing for this stuff for a long time now...I may even go so far to say that it's my dream setup. A 1973 Gibson SG Standard...it's a dark walnut brown finish, tobacco maybe, it has block inlays, nothing else really special. It's beat up and heavily modified, but it plays great. It needs to be fixed up a little, then I'm going to do some of my own modding, but she plays real nice right now even before a setup. Got it off of eBay for cheap, but I spent months staring, watching, waiting, and my sights kept coming back to this guitar. It came and went, was listed and relisted 2 or 3 times with no one buying the thing. I watched other guitars come and go, I was seriously considering buying a 1961 re-issue, but I got bit by the vintage bug. I emailed the guy and we squared the deal through paypal and skipped the ebay thing. It came in its original case, which is super beat up and moldy smelling, so I'm going to do a bleach job and air it out for a while. For some reason, these things have value, I may sell it and get a new case.

The SG model fits my body unlike any other guitar does. The lower bout is cut lower than most guitars and that seems to fit my leg really well. The neck profile is thin, but not paper-thin, and has a slim-taper: the neck profile on the lower frets is thinner than the med and higher frets. The nut is cut super narrow, about 1.6 inches, so the strings are really close together. I wanted a guitar that is barely there and really easy to play. The SG seems to be a really popular guitar, I'm sure many people wanted that same exact thing.

Finally, I got a great deal on a Peavey Delta Blues amp, all tube, 1X15, 2 channels, reverb, tremelo, very cool amp. Sounds great with my Samick Royale RL-3 Greg Bennett guitar as well.

4 comments:

John Weeks said...

Jesus lord man, ultra-relieved that you're gettin a rig together worthy of the badness of your ass. This is the kind of machinery i've seen you with since day one. Gotta bring my axe by and see if our SG's like each other. We can even take them to a guitar park and walk them together and stuff, or go running with them.

cetera said...

dont let jeeks' SG near yours. his is a known homosexual

scraggo said...

first comments in...long time. yeah, you're right, I've wanted this stuff for way too long...and too many digital/crappy things have been in the interlude. Woot. I hope the guitar children get along.

Lindalw said...

...nice looking stuff. you boys bring the chilluns by sometimes so mr paul can give em a good spankin! DW